What Is Windows Sonic for Headphones?
Windows Sonic for Headphones by Microsoft is Microsoft’s attempt to bring you a surround sound audio experience, even with regular stereo headphones.
What is Windows Sonic?
Windows Sonic was included in Windows 10 2017 as part of an upgrade. It was also quickly made available in an update for Xbox One users. There are many reasons to choose Windows Sonic for Headphones over Dolby Audio headphones.
What is Spatial Sound?
Spatial sound is the foundation of Windows Sonic for Headphones. It’s used to create audio objects that emit audio from 3D space positions. It’s basically like Windows created multiple speakers in your room and then emulated them via your headphones. This is a simple way to experience surround sound without having to use any additional equipment.
It mixes sounds before they reach your headphones. For example, a gunshot coming from the right side of a game is’repositioned’ so that you can hear it through your headphones.
How does Windows Sonic for Headphones work?
Windows Sonic for Headphones is a virtual device. Software does the hard work, not your physical equipment. Windows Sonic can be activated by simply pressing a button on the speaker settings of your computer.
It won’t work with all setups such as built-in laptop speakers but it will work with all headphones.
Windows Sonic for Headphones can only be used with games, applications, and movies that can render to or 7.1 channel formats. It may not be beneficial for some games or applications.
What are its advantages?
Windows Sonic headphones have many advantages. Let’s take a look at some of these.
- Space constraints – You don’t need to set up surround sound systems in order to enjoy the same audio experience.
- The price is lower: Windows Sonic Headphones are free and don’t require any expensive equipment.
- Easy to set up: In general, you can do it by turning one switch on your Xbox One or computer.
Which is the most useful time to use it?
While it is always good to get better sound quality for less, there are some key areas where Windows Sonic Headphones can be extra helpful.
- Gaming – When gaming, positional aspects of Windows Sonic allow you to hear where footsteps and gunshots are coming from. It’s especially helpful in multiplayer games to be able rely on your ears and your reaction skills.
- Movies – Movies with great picture quality and sound are always better. With Windows Sonic for Headphones activated, you have a greater chance to hear subtle nuances in a movie.
Are Windows Sonic headphones worth the investment?
Windows Sonic is completely free to use. You can activate it on your Xbox One or computer. It uses spatial sound technology to improve sound quality and it is an inexpensive way to enjoy surround sound without the need for additional equipment.